Feb 16, 2014

A Plot Twist to the Utmost Extreme

Plot twist: an occurrence in a story that you don't see coming; something that completely blindsides you because it wasn't what you were expecting; something that makes you sit there for twenty minutes and go "WHAT."

I started the day out wearing new pants, uncomfortable shoes, and my mom's shirt and I walked away with $100. If that's not a plot twist then I don't know what is.

I didn't have many expectations walking into the Junior Achievement Social Innovation Camp. Honestly, I was just really excited about the free food (and let me just say, the food did not disappoint). Really, if you think about it, the camp just combines like fifty of my least favorite things: social interaction, social interaction with people I don't know, waking up too early in the morning, thinking too early in the morning. Talking. The list goes on.

Plot Twist #2: I actually enjoyed it.

I know. Just let that sink in for a second.

Well, enjoy might not be the most accurate word but at least it wasn't the complete torture I thought it was going to be, you know? (I'm kidding, ha ha . . . ) I did find the experience to be educational and I feel like I benefitted a lot from it. You know, in more than just a monetary sense (although money is never a bad thing).

I learned that, hey, I can sit in an office for more than a few hours and talk to people I don't know, give my opinion and input, and work. I also learned that I don't think I'm exactly cut out for doing that nine to five, five days a week. It was surprisingly satisfying to come up with an idea and make it work but I felt claustrophobic stuck in that conference room after one hour. Eight hours a day? I'm not sure I'd survive. At least I now know that I wouldn't totally fail at the whole business thing. Another door just opened up and that is completely reassuring.

I think my favorite part (other than the food) might've been sitting in that office with my team members, looking at each other while we were completely lost on what to do and how to do it, and wondering (hoping) if all the other teams were having the same problems we were. I don't know why. Don't ask. I just had fun with that thought.

Which leads me to my next favorite part: watching all the other presentations. It was amazing to see what everyone else came up with and wondering how they came up with the idea and how agonizing the process was to make it presentable. I enjoyed them a lot more after my group went.

And here is as good a place as any to mention that I don't think I am built for public speaking. The fifteen minutes before my group was up, I couldn't even enjoy being done with the thinking part because my knees and my elbows were shaking so much. And don't even get me started on breathing! I think I almost passed out. It was such a relief getting it over with. I didn't care about the money at that point. I just didn't want to have to go through that whole thing again.

Plot Twist #3: Because, of course, I had to go through it again. (sigh)

Which brings us back to Plot Twist #1, in which my group actually won third place with the Wheel-A-Thon, a walk-a-thon with wheelchairs. Really, I'm still having a hard time believing that one.

Oh! It was also really cool that almost all of the teams in the top 6 that had to present again had a Cal kid. I was so proud. (Plot Twist #3.5: Erica gets school spirit.)

It was just one surprise after another at the camp but it did lead to one thing that someone (I won't mention who but she happens to be a certain iQuest teacher) said would happen: I am glad I went.

(Did I mention the food?)

1 comment:

  1. Have I told you that I love to read anything that you write? Congratulations on placing 3rd out of 18 teams.....and winning the $100. Don't spend it all in one place. Did you fill out the form that they gave you with your name/address and turn it back in. If you didn't turn it in, we can send the information to them. Did you tell your mom about the day?

    ReplyDelete