Oct 28, 2013

Hi, Nice to Meet You, I Have a Personality

I've taken personality tests before because I clearly have no idea what I'm like and, after the few tests I've taken, I've developed a pretty clear image of myself that just further proves what I thought of myself before I took them: I am the type of person that doesn't like structure and would rather work in a creative environment by myself rather than in large groups. Honestly, not much of a surprise.

I've known for a long time that working in a large company with regular hours, a boss looking over my shoulder at everything I do, and working on the same thing everyday was never something I would be willing to do. Much too constricting and too many boundaries. It's a strange kind of claustrophobia, being trapped in a routine like that. Having to work a job all year round, doing the same thing every single day without even a summer break to give me time to breath, would make life pretty unbearable.

So I wasn't all that surprised when my score for the Holland Code test was AIS/SIA. It was pretty much exactly what I thought it would be. What I was surprised by, though, was that my Artistic score matched my Social score. Both tens. That definitely threw me for a loop. Me? Social? Since when?

I didn't really have a clear idea of what I would expect out of the Meyer-Briggs test but if I think about it, the result I got makes sense too: ISFJ. This type of personality is described as quiet, friendly, responsible, conscientious, loyal, thorough, and a lot of other phrases along those lines. Looking at it like that, I sound like a golden retriever. There was once a time in my life when "quiet" was never a word I would even consider to describe myself. When I was about seven. Maybe eight. And responsible is probably a trait that I'll grow into. Thorough, only when I have the energy for it.

Apparently, I know myself pretty well. And yet I still end up surprising myself. I wonder what I'll learn about myself next year. Or even tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Keep your eyes and your heart open and you will surely learn a great deal. A Golden Retriever, that is a great analogy. I love that you took this class, just so I can enjoy your writing. I think that responsibility trait goes up and down throughout our lives, pay attention for it.

    ReplyDelete